Tuesday 9 August 2016

"Heigh Ho says Anthony Rowley ..."



These little frogs are knitted from my new pattern. They are made from small amounts of 4ply sock wool, and I think are a great way of making something cute from those little bits of leftover yarn. (Well I think they are cute, and hope you agree with me.)



I have been working on Mr Frog for quite a few weeks, and I don't know if I am getting slower or just more pernickety. The frogs legs were the main worry, as you can see from the photo above they are long, but frogs' legs are really, really long when they are extended. I have spent quite a while looking at frog anatomy pictures. (Be warned if you type frog legs into google you come across a lot of French cookery pages.) I wanted him to be just right, so his front and hind legs are the right length, with the right number of joints and toes. So you can keep him as a swimming/jumping frog, or if you want him to be permanently sitting I explain how to fold his legs and secure with a few extra stitches.




The frogs are photographed in my friend's garden. I have been cat sitting, so each day frogs and camera have come with me. It is a really beautiful pond, and has some real frogs and newts in it, although I haven't been able to photograph them. I did think it would be rather cool if knitted frog could come face to face with a real one.




Like most of my patterns the pieces are knitted flat, with some short rows to get curves. You will need some doublepoint needles, as there are just a few rows of icord knitting. I have used black beads for the eyes, as I thought they looked realistic, although you should use safety eyes or a knitted knot if giving the frog to a child. The speckles on the frogs are also made with french knots. The pattern is available on ravelry and Craftsy, and will be in all the other usual places later today.

Water Lily

14 comments:

  1. Your frogs are absolutely wonderful. I imagine the real frogs are keeping an eye on these new comers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous !!! Nice work !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is magical! I loooove them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those froggies are stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing. You've clearly put a lot of work into this pattern. They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your frogs are amazing. So life-like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are just too cute! Love how they modeled in their natural environment lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love them, sitting on a lily pad so cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super cute - definitely! These photos are great too - what a perfect setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are super cute, far nicer than the real one I came across in our dining room the other day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these and seeing them in their natural environment! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ribbet ribbet (which of course says they're amazing in frog language)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Какие классные! И фото красивые!!!

    ReplyDelete